Better yourself by asking one question: What kind of person do you want to be? By asking yourself this whenever you are choosing between what is easy and what is right, you can truly learn how to be a better you.

How to be the Kind of Person You Want to Be

For Sweet’s Sake

If you’ve been with Wholly Unimpressive for any length of time, you may have noticed my love for every food that is bad for me. Refer to my cake post if you think I’m exaggerating.

The point is I just really love sweets. And what makes it worse is I also hate food that is good for me. I’m like Kevin on the office when Michael is trying to force him to eat a head of raw broccoli. He’s basically crying bc he hates it so much. I feel you Kev. I hate it so much too.

I was grocery shopping with my husband yesterday and we were walking through the produce section. Literally, I was cringing at the thought of eating strawberries or apples. Bleh. Please, God, don’t make me do it.

Why can’t I just thrive off Reese’s cups and be rail thin and horse healthy all at the same time?

Unfortunately for me, life doesn’t work that way. Unfortunately for all of us, we sometimes have to choose to do the things we don’t want to do in order to see change. 

Better yourself by asking one question: What kind of person do you want to be? By asking yourself this whenever you are choosing between what is easy and what is right, you can truly learn how to be a better you.

The Simple Question that Changes Everything

If you’ve been with Wholly Unimpressive for any length of time, you know that I want to better myself and help you better yourself in all areas of life, whether you struggle with anxiety, gossip, unhealthy relationships, or eating sweets for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

So I have a question for both of us.

What kind of person do you want to be?

Take a minute to really think about it. Maybe even write it down in the notes on your phone. I’ll wait.

I’ll use myself as an example if you’re blanking:

  • I want to be the kind of person who really knows how to love others.
  • I want to be the kind of person who does what is healthy for my body regardless of what others are doing to theirs.
  • The kind of person who is content with what I have and where I am and who I am.

This is the kind of person I want to be, and I’ll let you in on a secret: I’m already this kind of person. I just don’t always make the right choices. Sometimes I choose what is easy instead of what’s right.

I’ll let you in on another secret: the type of person you want to be is already there inside you too! You just have to choose it. Believe me, you wouldn’t want to be that kind of person if you didn’t already have what it takes to do it.

Now comes the part that we always make way too difficult. How do we fully realize the person inside us who is knocking to come out? Our essential self as I like to say. Check out my essential self post if you really want to go deep in uncovering who you’ve always been. You don’t need self-help books, world travel or a life coach to be the person you’ve always been. You just need a fool-proof process that works for you.

What is Right. Not What is Easy.

Here is what I have been using in my own personal life. It’s super simple and maybe even unimpressive, but it works.

Ya know the question I asked a few paragraphs ago? What kind of person do you want to be?

That’s it. That’s all I do.

I ask myself over and over and over what kind of person I want to be.

When I’m craving a Reese’s cup, I ask myself what kind of person I want to be. And then I answer: the kind of person who doesn’t let sweets control me.

When I feel like lashing out on a coworker, I ask myself what kind of person I want to be. And I answer: the kind of person who empathizes with others and loves them despite their flaws.

When my friends are eating donuts and pizza, I ask myself what kind of person I want to be. And I answer: the kind of person who what is healthy for me regardless of what others are doing.

And ya know what? I still fail about 55% of the time. But the other 45% I’m killing it! That may not sound like the best percentages, but I fully intend to move forward inch by inch and flip those numbers around. And eventually, I’ll be choosing the good and right part of myself way more than the easy part of myself.

Seven Days to a Better You

Now you try it. Do it for one week. When you come to a crossroads between something that is easy or something that is right, ask yourself what kind of person you want to be. Answer the question and then make your choice accordingly.

You may still choose the easy road, and that’s ok. Don’t be too hard on yourself. As long as you are aware there is a better choice to be made, you’re getting closer to making it and eventually, you will.

If you do take on the challenge, let me know how it goes.

Seriously, you got this.


 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *